We offer the following carbon choices for our air purifiers. Carbon can be ordered in either bulk packaging or standard packaging. Receive a 20% discount if you order BULK packaging. We do not recommend washing of any of our carbon medias, as we feel that this will reduce the service time and performance.
Most of the carbons on this page will last 6-9 months in a residential or office setting, but air quality will always affect the life of any filter media.
Order 6 lbs. or more of any media, (except Zeolite which requires 10 lbs or more), and get free shipping in the Continental USA.
- Standard Mix
60% Coconut shell carbon / 40% Purapel (potassium permanganate) is our longest lasting media. It removes the widest variety of chemicals, fumes and odors.
- Coconut Shell
Coconut shell carbon is a good media choice for removal of mold mycotoxins, perfume, paint odors, ozone, petroleum gases & odors, pet odors, food odors, pesticides, VOCs and many other chemicals, fumes and odors.
Potassium permanagnate and activated alumina compound is the perfect choice to remove formaldehyde from indoor air.
Wood carbon is similiar to Coconut shell carbon in its ability to absorb chemicals, fumes and odors. The density is less than Coconut shell and therefore will only last about 50-60% of the life of Coconut shell.
Lignite carbon is coal based and is used as an alternative to Coconut shell. It will absorb the same odors, gases and fumes as Coconut shell, but due to 10-15% less density it will not last as long as that media. We carry this product for people that may have a sensitivity to Coconut shell carbon.
Bituminous carbon is a coal based alternative to Coconut shell carbon. It will remove the same types of chemicals, fumes, and odors as that media, but due to 10-15% less density it will not last as long. This media is used by many of our customers who may have a sensitivity to Coconut shell carbon.
Zeolite is a great media for ammonia odors and for urine odor. Add to your kitty litter box to help keep odor to a minimum.
- Formaldehyde Control
Formaldehyde control coconut shell is a good alternative for Purapel if you are senstive to that media. Great for formaldehyde control and many other fumes, odors and chemicals that Coconut shell can absorb.
- Mercury Vapor Control
Great media choice for dental offices if silver/mercury amalgams are present. This media will remove mercury vapor from air at ambient room temperatures.
- Custom Mix
Custom blend the carbon mix that is best for your situation. The price quoted is a minimum cost. The price may be more depending on the type of carbon that is being mixed. Specify your desired mix in the box on the ordering page.
Ordering Loose Carbon and replacement filters
for your 160 Series Air Purifier
Use the links at the bottom of these instructions to place your order.
ALL CARBON PRICES on the ORDER NOW page are in LBS.
Choose Bulk or Standard packaging
- Remember - you receive a 20% discount if you order BULK packaging!
Choose the type of carbon and enter the number of pounds desired in the box
- Order 6 lbs. or more of any media, (except Zeolite which requires 10 lbs. or more), and get free shipping in the Continental USA.
Order a replacement Filterdown for your air purifier
- If you order 3 pounds of media for either a 160AN or 160DT model or 7 pounds of media to refill a 160R2 model , a pink Filterdown particle filter (not Technostat HEPA) will be included at no extra charge. (Technostat HEPAs will always be an extra charge) Filterdown is rated 85%@ 1.0 micron, and will remove dust, mold,allergens, and dust mites. Filterdown is made by American Air Filter of glass fibers that do not outgas any formaldehyde or other gases up to 200 degrees F. This filter material has been used for many years for industrial air filtration and we have used this material since 1974 in our 160 Series air purifiers.
- This filter, like the carbon, is rated to last 6-9 months in most residential or office settings, but air quality will always affect the life of any filter.
- Check your Filterdown choice on the order page
Order a replacement Technostat HEPA filter for your air purifier
- Our white Technostat HEPA filters will not outgas and will remove dust, mold, mites, viruses, bacteria, and many other particles in the air that could be harmful to your health. Rated at 99.738%@ 0.1 micron. This filter, like the carbon, is rated to last 6-9 months in most residential or office settings, but air quality will always affect the life of any filter.
- You can order the Technostat HEPA separately or add it to your new or existing machine. If you add this to a new or existing machine, shipping does not apply. If you are ordering this filter separately, shipping does apply unless it is being ordered with Loose Carbon. Shipping charges will be adjusted appropriately when you order is received.
- Select the correct HEPA filter for your model air purifier.
Optional Alpha-Stat pre-filter for 160 Series air purifiers
- The Alpha-Stat MERV 12 rated pre-filter is useful if you are using the 160 Series air purifiers in high dust conditions. This filter is easy to add to existing cartridges & can be ordered in extra quantities when conditions warrant extra change-outs during the life of the cartridge. Pre-filter will help carbon to absorb odors better by keeping dust off granular carbon in the cartridge.
- This filter, is rated to last 2-3 months in most residential or office settings, but air quality will always affect the life of any filter.